Re: is it possible to ignore dark theme completely?

On Tue, 4 Jun 2024 at 15:36, Benoît Minisini <
benoit.minisini@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >      >      > So I just discovered my Blockski+ program looks terrible
> >     if dark
> >      >     theme
> >      >      > is used.
> >      >      >
> >      >      > Many of the self drawn button images and game images are
> >     inverting
> >      >      > colors where i do not want them to.
>
> Picture[] is really for icons, and Picture properties, because when the
> system icon theme changes, the internal picture is cached is used to
> automatically reload the icons.
>
> You should create your own cache with a collection, so that you won't be
> disturbed by the automatic processes behing Picture[] (dark theme
> adaptation, and automatic reload on system icon theme changes).

Dang, this seems remarkably horrible and makes all kinds of things not work
!

Any icons that reside in the project folder that I have set the IDE
designer to use those icons need to be removed and loaded by code as the
form designer automatically uses Picture[]

So when using the form designer to set an icon although you are given the
option/tab for "Project" directory and is the default tab only the "Stock"
icons are really viable unless the project icon you are loading is
monochromatic and inverts okay.

maybe conversion should only happen if Path Begins "icon:/" ?

or a switch to disable inverting as this seems only useful for a bulk
standard GUI using no custom images, no custom background or foreground and
just Stock.class icons.

Any variation from bulk standard unmodified GUI and it's just better to not
convert icons/colors.

I've had to convert loads of Picture[] methods to Picture.Load(), all of
them that are not using "icon:/" (in my games that was a lot of code)
I've had to load any icons that are not stock using code and not via the
IDE as it auto-inverts them.

I mean what's the point in a Form.Background setting if a dark theme messes
things up by automatically changing your Foreground color.

These conversion techniques are noble and seem okay for bulk standard (no
imagination or art) GUI but not being able to disable it to use your own
application colors is just rubbish.

Respects
BruceS

(sorry for the rant but this is a real pain in the ass that i have been
trying to adapt 3 programs to look okay for a couple of days now,
Blockski+, TurboSnake and Desktop-ish all looked terrible in dark theme due
to poxy automatic inversion regardless of if i want it to do that or not)