Re: is it possible to ignore dark theme completely?

On Tue, 4 Jun 2024 at 14:05, Benoît Minisini <
benoit.minisini@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Le 04/06/2024 à 15:00, Bruce Steers a écrit :
> >

> > On Mon, 3 Jun 2024 at 23:17, Benoît Minisini
> > <benoit.minisini@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> > <mailto:benoit.minisini@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
> >
> >     Le 03/06/2024 à 21:52, Bruce Steers a écrit :
> >      > So I just discovered my Blockski+ program looks terrible if dark
> >     theme
> >      > is used.
> >      >
> >      > Many of the self drawn button images and game images are inverting
> >      > colors where i do not want them to.
> >      >
> >      > Can my program be forced to ignore dark theme and load things
> >     without
> >      > modification?
> >      >
> >      > Or will i need to re-invert every image that is being effected by
> >     this?
> >      >
> >      > That's what i have been doing, something like
> >      > If Application.DarkTheme Then $hPicture =
> >      > $hPicture.Image.Invert(True).Picture
> >      >
> >      > But it'd be handy if i could get the program to render the same
> >      > regardless of dark theme or not.
> >      >
> >      > Respects
> >      > BruceS
> >      >

> >     Do not use Picture[] if you don't want automatic conversion to dark
> >     theme. Use Picture.Load() instead.
> >
> >     Regards,
> >
> >     --
> >     Benoît Minisini.
> >

> > I tried using env GB_GUI_DARK_THEME=0
> > looks like setting it to 1 forces dark mode to be true but setting it to
> > 0 does not force non dark mode.
> >
> > would it take much to make GB_GUI_DARK_THEME work for setting false?
> >
> > Respects
> > BruceS
> >

> Why don't you modify your project so that you make the difference
> between the images that must adapt to dark mode (toolbar and menu icons
> usually), and the others images (that you must load with
> 'Picture.Load()' then) ? This is the right thing to do.
>
> --
> Benoît Minisini.

my concern is load speed.
i have already adapted the program to use Picture.Load in place of
Picture[] where needed.

the games loads multiple blocks (could be hundreds) and used
Picture[sBlockPicturePath] thus utilizing the cache.

Not being unable to override it and having to use Load() i think may be
slow on slow disks.

I guess i can workaround it by pre-loading the block images once then using
that.

Cheers anyway :)

BruceS