Re: Wayland and Gambas

On Mon, 8 Apr 2024 at 15:23, Neil Darlow <neil@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi BruceS,
>
> You indeed have a lot of pain points to be addressed there. Can I offer
> the following link to a conversation on the Free desktop.org mailing list
> regarding window positioning and sizing on Wayland. It gives a lot of
> insight and actually explains the little issue I described in my earlier
> post relating to dialog controls and Wayland (TL;DR the behaviour I see is
> expected and seen as correct). There's also consideration for tiling WMs
> and their expectations and behaviour.
>
> <https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/wayland-devel/2021-May/041833.html
> >
> Regards,
> Neil Darlow

aah interesting.
ironically I joined that list a couple of hours ago, I plan to ask some
questions myself :)

So wayland discourages any form of form positioning to leave it to the
compositor.
Making all my desktop GUIs/Displays have a problem :(

Can we not do anything with the compositor interface or surfaces? (i
glanced over some documentation)

could a gambas program create an invisible screen sized compositor object
as a parent to add its window to ?

(clearly i do not know what the compositor does or how it works, i'm just
desperately searching for possible workarounds)
Or can we just consider background GUIs like my temp monitor and program
launcher will never work with wayland if they don't change things.

I'm guessing making them TrayIcons that pop open then close the windows
could be a workaround.

Respects
BruceS