Re: Reordering components in HPanel fails

On Tue, 16 Jul 2024 at 13:06, Stéphane Aulery <lkppo@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Le 16/07/2024 à 13:55, Bruce Steers a écrit :
> >
> > On Tue, 16 Jul 2024 at 12:51, Bruce Steers <bsteers4@xxxxxxxxx
> > <mailto:bsteers4@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
>
> >     On Tue, 16 Jul 2024 at 12:20, Stéphane Aulery <lkppo@xxxxxxx
> >     <mailto:lkppo@xxxxxxx>> wrote:
> >
> >         My problem is that if I arrange the fields with the graphical
> >         editor or
> >         try to order them with the container tree viewer, I never get the
> >         controls in the order I want. If I reorder the fields in the
> >         container
> >         tree viewer and then save, the order is lost.
> >
> >         I don't understand what order it follows unless it's the initial
> >         insertion order of the components, which is no use to me since
> >         you can't
> >         define an Order property.
> >
> >         What am I doing wrong?
> >

> >     There are tricks i do to sort misordering out.
> >
> >     For example if the panel that should be on the right is appearing on
> >     the left I would do this..
> >     Right click the right hand panel and select Cut.
> >     Move the left hand panel a pixel or 2
> >     Then Paste the right hand panel back in again.
> >     Then usually the ordering is correct again.
> >
> >     Also when you right click an object there is the Arrangement/Bring
> >     to Front and Bring to Back options that rearrange the ordering.
> >
> >     By code you can use hMyPanel.Raise and hMyPanel.Lower commands.
> >

> > A very useful feature here would be if you could select a bunch of
> > contained objects and have an Arrangement option like "Use visible
> > layout" that would set the order to how they currently look in the IDE.
>
> So, the order is the order of insertion ?
>
> It would be better to have an explicit Order property instead of
> fiddling with the IDE.
>
> I expected that at least the container tree editor could change the
> order since it has the buttons to reorder. Is this a bug or missing
> feature?

I am not sure , sometimes I find order of something changes that was
correct but suddenly now wrong for some unknown reason? (i probably moved
something)
that's where i found the Cut one thing/Move another/re-Paste trick was a
quick fix.

I would call it a bug, i'd expect the created GUI to match the layout as it
looks in the IDE automatically.
how i can have 3 buttons in a HBox and their order is not how it visibly
looks in the IDE makes no sense to me.

But is is how it is,

Bring to front/send to back are the ordering tools in the IDE and
Control.Raise/Control.Lower by code.

If not automatic then at least having a function to re-order objects to
their current IDE positioning would be a handy solution.

Respects
BruceS