Re: Linux Weekly News quotes answer to Bruce's mail about Wayland

I think based on the intransigence of wayland devs to add positional capability directly into the protocol, we would be left one of the following options. 1. create a new gambas "universal" compositor extension to provide the positioning capabilities, which would have to work with all current compositors, 2. create a gambas compositor that provides all the functionality that gambas and it's application developers want 3. Make XWayland a dep if your desktop is wayland based, and rely on the x-based  positional support. 4. create a gambas runner program which treats all gui programs as sub-programs of a full-screen window and has the capabilities of positioning them relative to itself, if that works?.

It certainly appears that wayland devs did not consider that programmers may want to develop widgets separate from a compositor. It's a wonder they got "buy-in" from qt and gtk. I'm surprised they didn't just add extra functionality to X to report screen usage. That would have been way easier and simpler and covered their examples of infotainment systems, bill boards, tablets, laptops and desktops. A simple info character or two per display would have done it, instead of inventing an entirely new but broken protocol.  (rant over)
regards, Tim

On Sat, May 4, 2024 at 5:53 AM Benoît Minisini <benoit.minisini@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

    Le 04/05/2024 à 13:35, Christof Thalhofer a écrit :
    > Am 03.05.24 um 23:26 schrieb Jussi Lahtinen:
    >
    >>     I disagree , i WANT to position my windows !!   i think the
    "end
    >>     user" knows best where the end user wants a window, not the
    bl**dy
    >>     compositor !!
    >>

    >> This feels absurd. Only the user *can* know where they want the
    >> windows positioned, everything else is assuming/guessing. But
    maybe
    >> this is something I could get used to. I would need to see it
    first.
    >> Still, reminds me of the decision Ubuntu made some years ago to
    >> replace desktop metaphor with "Unity". Design made by people
    who do
    >> all their work on a floor..? Shoebox..?
    >
    > I made a combobox which is in fact a TextBox which creates a
    separate
    > window and positions it exactly under the textbox to display the
    > alternative input possibilities.
    >
    > See the attached image.
    >
    > It will be very funny when Wayland positions the window anywhere
    on the
    > screen ...
    >
    > AFAIKS a lot of such comboboxes are made in the same way.
    > Alles Gute
    >
    > Christof Thalhofer

    There is a trick on Wayland named "sub-windows". When you create a
    popup
    window (or a menu) with Qt or GTK+, the toolkit says Wayland that the
    popup window is a sub-window of the window including the control that
    displays the popup. In that case, the coordinates of the sub-window
    become relative to the main window (I don't know exactly how), and
    then
    the popup window position is correct.

    But... How do you ensure that the popup is not displayed outside
    of the
    desktop limits? Apparently you have to pray for your Wayland
    compositor
    to be clever.

    Regards,

-- Benoît Minisini.