Re: Linux Weekly News quotes answer to Bruce's mail about Wayland

Le 04/05/2024 à 13:35, Christof Thalhofer a écrit :
Am 03.05.24 um 23:26 schrieb Jussi Lahtinen:

    I disagree , i WANT to position my windows !!   i think the "end
    user" knows best where the end user wants a window, not the bl**dy
    compositor !!

This feels absurd. Only the user *can* know where they want the windows positioned, everything else is assuming/guessing. But maybe this is something I could get used to. I would need to see it first. Still, reminds me of the decision Ubuntu made some years ago to replace desktop metaphor with "Unity". Design made by people who do all their work on a floor..? Shoebox..?

I made a combobox which is in fact a TextBox which creates a separate window and positions it exactly under the textbox to display the alternative input possibilities.

See the attached image.

It will be very funny when Wayland positions the window anywhere on the screen ...

AFAIKS a lot of such comboboxes are made in the same way.
Alles Gute

Christof Thalhofer

There is a trick on Wayland named "sub-windows". When you create a popup window (or a menu) with Qt or GTK+, the toolkit says Wayland that the popup window is a sub-window of the window including the control that displays the popup. In that case, the coordinates of the sub-window become relative to the main window (I don't know exactly how), and then the popup window position is correct.

But... How do you ensure that the popup is not displayed outside of the desktop limits? Apparently you have to pray for your Wayland compositor to be clever.

Benoît Minisini.