Re: Fwd: Wayland design principles (Re: wayland and gambas)

Am 30.04.24 um 01:40 schrieb Jussi Lahtinen:
    If you do not have a coordinate system you can point to, you still MUST
    have some way of telling the window manager where (about) you wish
    it to
    show something up and how.

    Maybe there is an indirect way like telling it "please show this window
    in 33% of the current screen size somewhere in the center". Otherwise,
    wayland would only be able to serve frameless windows in
    whole-screen-mode, like on mobiles or - as he put it - on car screens.
    But it runs on normal screens with windows with all widgets, so how is
    it achieved?

    On a printed page, you usually count mm and the printer system will
    translate this into pixels for its individual wand. There must be
    such a
    way in Wayland too - and Pekka does mention a translation layer for
    older applications. It's just a shame they seem to realize this only
    now.

This is a good point. I wonder how it will work without knowing the pixel coordinates.
Definitely not my area of expertise.

Jussi

Another thing that just came into my mind. Imagine you have a 4K display. First thing the graphical system has to look at is if it is part of a usual PC-like system with dedicated keyboard, mouse etc., or a touch screen (maybe a Look-for-a-shop system in a mall) or a display-only for advertisements or time schedules. This information will have to be obtained from the OS and decides whether to show the window title bars and gadgets or just showing the active window in full-scale in the front.

Then the second question is: "How big or small is the distance from display to user?" Maybe we are on 4K on an ultrasharp display in an office, or this is a large display where people are at least 4 m away. In the first case the windows and graphical elements can be scaled to a size that anyone sitting in front of any display is used to. In the latter case the elements will perhaps have to be enlarged, you cannot show so many of them at one time etc.

It could be a large benefit to the programmer not having to care for any and all cases. But if it is desired to have some control on certain types of screens, there should be a way of influencing the behaviour, at least an indirect one. Like I said before, this could be done specifying some relation to other known parts of the program window, like "25 % the size of the main window and in its lower right corner".

On the other hand, a quick workaround for me would be to just pack all elements for one application into a single window (like the colour palette window someone mentioned) in a way I still can control. This would be at least a workaround for ordinary application forms.

Regards
Rolf