Re: Wayland and Gambas

Le 08/04/2024 à 00:38, Bruce Steers a écrit :

Seems crazy.  surely it means lots of things are broken for us?
Even with gambas.

Mouse.ScreenX and ScreenY for example. A quick search for Mouse.ScreenX in the gambas sources and i find this...

Gambas3 IDE : 36 matches
gb.form : 18 matches
gb.gui.base : 5 matches

i see it used in many places , gb.form.editor , gb.form.terminal
Does all that code function correctly knowing in wayland we actually get Mouse.X not Mouse.ScreenX?

Hopefully, most of the time, ScreenX and ScreenY are used to compare coordinates of controls located on the same window, so it still works on Wayland.

I just had to reset my Suse VM using wayland just because i loaded the DBusExplorer and used the scrollbar.  after letting the scrollbar go it just carried on moving very slowly and i lost all mouse control, the scrollbar finally stopped at the bottom of the list but the VM was totally locked up. It could have been anything but i can't help thinking it's probably a gambas bug.
Gambas and wayland just seems like pretty dangerous ground.

I have never seen that. I think it's not related to Gambas or Wayland, but it's a bug in the VM hosting software (VirtualBox? VMWare?).

Maybe gambas could implement a way (private protocol) to work around these problems too?

You don't understand how that works. Gambas can't do anything. It's something between Wayland, the window manager and the GUI toolkit.

You can just pray and hope the Wayland get a standard protocol that allows moving windows and get absolute coordinates. But I think we'll never see that.

REgards,

--
Benoît Minisini.