[Gambas-user] No way to display HTML in Gambas 3.15?

Bruce Steers bsteers4 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 23 14:33:30 CET 2024

On Tue, 23 Jan 2024 at 11:58, Admin <admin at allunix.ru> wrote:

> Greetings!
>
> I used to display HTML content during, I think, 3.8 times and now I
> wanted to make an HTML view of some kind using standard Debian
> repository version of Gambas which is 3.15.2, and found no way to do it.
> As I can see from the documentation, gb.form.htmlview only appeared in
> 3.17 and gb.gui.qt.webkit was deprecated after 3.8. Same with
> gb.qt4.webkit and gb.qt5.webkit. So... there was no way of displaying
> HTML from 3.8 to 3.17? I really don't want to compile newer version of
> Gambas since all machines that use my software are debian-based distros
> with bullseye repository, don't wanna risk the compatibility. I'd rather
> drop the idea of displaying HTML content. But just to make it clear, am
> I wrong or is there really no way?
>
> Dmitry

Hi Dimitry
The depreciated controls have not been removed. They can still be used,
they are just no longer being updated.

So all your old code should still work just fine.

Then you can update your applications when debian updates it's gambas.

You should really consider upgrading all machines to the latest gambas
though, especially as you report bugs here.
You will find that using an old gambas you may report bugs that have
already been fixed and also any bugs you do report will not get fixed for
you as the old versions do not get updated. any updates happen in the
latest development gambas version only. the 3.15.2 that debian bullseye
repository has will probably stay the same version.

But back on topic..
using the depreciated webkit controls should still work just fine for you
if you install them from the repository.

Respects
BruceS