[Gambas-user] No way to display HTML in Gambas 3.15?

Bruce Steers bsteers4 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 23 18:32:34 CET 2024

On Tue, 23 Jan 2024 at 13:33, Bruce Steers <bsteers4 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 23 Jan 2024 at 11:58, Admin <admin at allunix.ru> wrote:
>
>> Greetings!
>>
>> I used to display HTML content during, I think, 3.8 times and now I
>> wanted to make an HTML view of some kind using standard Debian
>> repository version of Gambas which is 3.15.2, and found no way to do it.
>> As I can see from the documentation, gb.form.htmlview only appeared in
>> 3.17 and gb.gui.qt.webkit was deprecated after 3.8. Same with
>> gb.qt4.webkit and gb.qt5.webkit. So... there was no way of displaying
>> HTML from 3.8 to 3.17? I really don't want to compile newer version of
>> Gambas since all machines that use my software are debian-based distros
>> with bullseye repository, don't wanna risk the compatibility. I'd rather
>> drop the idea of displaying HTML content. But just to make it clear, am
>> I wrong or is there really no way?
>>
>> Dmitry
>>

> Hi Dimitry
> The depreciated controls have not been removed. They can still be used,
> they are just no longer being updated.
>
> So all your old code should still work just fine.
>
> Then you can update your applications when debian updates it's gambas.
>
> You should really consider upgrading all machines to the latest gambas
> though, especially as you report bugs here.
> You will find that using an old gambas you may report bugs that have
> already been fixed and also any bugs you do report will not get fixed for
> you as the old versions do not get updated. any updates happen in the
> latest development gambas version only. the 3.15.2 that debian bullseye
> repository has will probably stay the same version.
>
> But back on topic..
> using the depreciated webkit controls should still work just fine for you
> if you install them from the repository.
>
> Respects
> BruceS

I just tried something that worked okay Dimitry, could could maybe try it..

I have repository gambas 3.15 installed on deb bullseye

i downloaded latest stable gambas source code and compiled ONLY the
gb.form.htmlview component
i typed the following...
cd ~
git clone --depth=1 --branch=stable https://gitlab.com/gambas/gambas.git
gambas-source
cd gambas-source/gb.form.htmlview
./reconf
./configure -C
make -j$(nproc)
sudo make install

this successfully compiled and installed ONLY the latest gb.form.htmlview
component into my existing 3.15 and htmlview now works fine.
:)

Respects
BruceS