[Gambas-user] Happy new year 2024!

Jussi Lahtinen jussi.lahtinen at gmail.com
Fri Jan 5 00:44:04 CET 2024

> Well, as someone who's software for work needs to be run on both Linux and
> Windows (and I write my software using Gambas of course), I can say that
> WSL existence is damn important. It actually makes it unnecessary for
> Gambas to be specifically Windows-compatible. I mean I see how Gambas is
> very Linux-dependant or at least UNIX-dependant so to make it
> Windows-compatible in a way that same codebase would compile on both
> Windows and Linux is almost impossible. With that said it's not even
> important if WSL is as quick as native Linux, it's enough that it exists
> and (mostly) works.  I find it kind of a miracle that I can just make a GUI
> program working with some remote database with a programming language
> designed for Linux, and than I place a program on a windows laptop of, say,
> a girl working in finance department, and the program just works and does
> what she needs. This is something you just can't avoid in a real world, in
> a corporate use case. So, yeah, from a popularization point of view WSL
> does for Gambas something that even Benoit can't or at least doesn't have
> time to do. I don't like Windows myself, but just to be fair.

I understand, it's just my opinion. I want to keep things as simple as
possible and avoid potential sources of errors. Maybe others are more
optimistic about it.
To be honest, I avoid Windows altogether. It's messy and its up keeping is
just a nightmare. And still no matter what you do it will eventually get
slow and buggy, and to fix it you "need to buy a new computer" or install
Linux.

Jussi