[Gambas-user] Happy new year 2024!

Admin admin at allunix.ru
Fri Jan 5 05:19:52 CET 2024

You know, trough the years I think what's really important in UNIX world
for the people beginning to write software is if their program would
execute without, how do I put it, any other "body movements". Most
distros, not even just Linux distros, allow you to just write a program
using vi/ee/mcedit and just run it, because python is already there,
perl is already there, C and C++ is already there (gcc and make that is).

Oh boy do I dream of having Gambas installed by default in distros. But
for example in a corporate distro my employer uses - it is. And so there
you go, all mine and my colleagues software on any "work PC" just works.
This is what makes language popular, my colleagues see that they can
choose and they choose. They choose Gambas, so do I.

For a long time I had to administer a lot of FreeBSD routers in all
corners of country due to other admins in my company not really being
familiar with FreeBSD but mostly just being used to web-interfaces of,
say, OpenWRT. They are just Windows users, so what else to expect. And
then Gambas (somewhere since 3.14) suddenly started to successfully
compile on a "naked" FreeBSD 12/13/14. So there we go, I am not a web
programmer by any means, but since we have xrdp, I just wrote a router
control panel in Gambas and made it the only thing to run when you log
in via Remote Desktop to a FreeBSD router, and voila, Windows admins now
took their routers administation from me and I breathe freely for more
then a year now.

The only problem left is that with every new FreeBSD router installed I
have to compile Gambas on it and pray every time that it succeeds.
Frequently It does not, so I "dance with a ritual drum" to make it
bloody work, but when I finally compile the damn thing, no more work for
me, the other guys will take it from here. Imagine if Gambas was just a
binary package in a FreeBSD repository. I would save probably a week of
personal time annually.

So there. I think the popularity begins not with a Foundation or an
advertisment. It begins with binary packages in a default repository of
at least all of slightest popular UNIX-like distros. When I write a
script in Python, I know that the guy using Sun Solaris just like the
guy using MacOS X would successfully execute it. Before this confidence
exists for Gambas it's hard to even recommend it to somebody outside of
a microworld where you by yourself already ensured that the program they
write will actually run.

Dmitry.