[Gambas-user] Happy new year 2024!

Admin admin at allunix.ru
Thu Jan 4 22:00:20 CET 2024

Well, as someone who's software for work needs to be run on both Linux
and Windows (and I write my software using Gambas of course), I can say
that WSL existence is damn important. It actually makes it unnecessary
for Gambas to be specifically Windows-compatible. I mean I see how
Gambas is very Linux-dependant or at least UNIX-dependant so to make it
Windows-compatible in a way that same codebase would compile on both
Windows and Linux is almost impossible. With that said it's not even
important if WSL is as quick as native Linux, it's enough that it exists
and (mostly) works.  I find it kind of a miracle that I can just make a
GUI program working with some remote database with a programming
language designed for Linux, and than I place a program on a windows
laptop of, say, a girl working in finance department, and the program
just works and does what she needs. This is something you just can't
avoid in a real world, in a corporate use case. So, yeah, from a
popularization point of view WSL does for Gambas something that even
Benoit can't or at least doesn't have time to do. I don't like Windows
myself, but just to be fair.

Dmitry.