[Gambas-user] Initial support for making AppImage

Fabien Bodard gambas.fr at gmail.com
Wed Sep 6 19:14:20 CEST 2023

Le mer. 6 sept. 2023 à 16:41, Benoît Minisini <
benoit.minisini at gambas-basic.org> a écrit :

> Le 06/09/2023 à 16:34, T Lee Davidson a écrit :
> > On 9/5/23 07:03, Benoît Minisini wrote:
> >> You need the 'appimage-builder' tool. See:
> >>
> https://appimage-builder.readthedocs.io/en/latest/intro/install.html#intro-install
> >
> > I'm confused. It appears that AppImageBuilder is a project by
> > AppImageCrafters; while the official AppImage project is AppImageKit
> > which provides 'appimagetool'.
> >
> > I just successfully built and executed a simple AppImage (size: 194Kb)
> > with AppImageTool on openSUSE.
> >

> >> Whatever AppImageBuilder supports, I need Ubuntu because the Gambas
> >> binary packages come from the Gambas Ubuntu PPA.
> >
> > Again, I am confused. Is it not possible to simply pull the binary files
> > from the user's own system?
> >

> I don't know. I don't know AppImage enough, I just followed the process
> described here:
> https://appimage-builder.readthedocs.io/en/latest/examples/gambas3.html
>
> If you can explain how to do the same thing with 'appimagetool', you are
> welcome.
>
> The problem is: how to find all shared libraries to install from the
> gambas interpreter and all components needed by your project?
> 'appimage-builder' (almost) succeeds in that by using dependencies of
> Ubuntu packages.
>
> Regards,
>
> --
> Benoît Minisini.
>
> Appimagetool is used by appimagebuilder.

Appimage builder is just a tool that make the AppDir with all the
dependencies from binary packages.

It use the dependencies tree generated by apt or else to make the virtual
machine. this way is far more easy and have the security of a new clean
system for each appimage.

appimagetool can use a receipe to get the files from the system where the
making occur.