[Gambas-user] Initial support for making AppImage

T Lee Davidson t.lee.davidson at gmail.com
Wed Sep 6 22:48:34 CEST 2023

On 9/6/23 10:40, Benoît Minisini wrote:
> I don't know. I don't know AppImage enough, I just followed the process described here:
> https://appimage-builder.readthedocs.io/en/latest/examples/gambas3.html
>
> If you can explain how to do the same thing with 'appimagetool', you are welcome.
>
> The problem is: how to find all shared libraries to install from the gambas interpreter and all components needed by your
> project? 'appimage-builder' (almost) succeeds in that by using dependencies of Ubuntu packages.

And that is indeed a significant problem as generating a dependency tree seems to be no simple matter; at least not for
RPM-based distros.

Zypper (openSUSE) and DNF (Fedora) both utilize libsolv under the hood to resolve dependencies. There are examples for using it
(written in C, Perl, Python, Ruby, and TCL) at the project's repository:
https://github.com/openSUSE/libsolv/tree/master/examples

However, building a (somewhat) universal dependency tree generator using libsolv would still undoubtedly be quite involved. So,
it seems that appimage-builder just may be the way to go. Unfortunately, it does not work on openSUSE as the generated YML file
was obviously unusable.

--
Lee