[Gambas-user] Initial support for making AppImage

Benoît Minisini benoit.minisini at gambas-basic.org
Wed Sep 6 16:40:23 CEST 2023

Le 06/09/2023 à 16:34, T Lee Davidson a écrit :
> On 9/5/23 07:03, Benoît Minisini wrote:
>> You need the 'appimage-builder' tool. See:
>> https://appimage-builder.readthedocs.io/en/latest/intro/install.html#intro-install
>
> I'm confused. It appears that AppImageBuilder is a project by
> AppImageCrafters; while the official AppImage project is AppImageKit
> which provides 'appimagetool'.
>
> I just successfully built and executed a simple AppImage (size: 194Kb)
> with AppImageTool on openSUSE.
>

>> Whatever AppImageBuilder supports, I need Ubuntu because the Gambas
>> binary packages come from the Gambas Ubuntu PPA.
>
> Again, I am confused. Is it not possible to simply pull the binary files
> from the user's own system?

I don't know. I don't know AppImage enough, I just followed the process
described here:
https://appimage-builder.readthedocs.io/en/latest/examples/gambas3.html

If you can explain how to do the same thing with 'appimagetool', you are
welcome.

The problem is: how to find all shared libraries to install from the
gambas interpreter and all components needed by your project?
'appimage-builder' (almost) succeeds in that by using dependencies of
Ubuntu packages.

Benoît Minisini.