[Gambas-user] Gio icon, GIcon serialized for DesktopPortal Notify?

Bruce Steers bsteers4 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 26 02:28:29 CET 2023

On Sun, 26 Nov 2023 at 00:59, BB <adamnt42 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 26/11/23 10:38 am, Bruce Steers wrote:
>

> On Sat, 25 Nov 2023 at 23:53, BB <adamnt42 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Okay I get
>  Notification Daemon "MATE" "1.26.0" "1.1"
>
> So that's the daemon you use and you can tailor your needs to that
>

> i can apparently send just system icon names but again it needs to be a
> "serialized GThemedIcon"  whatever that is. just an icon name string for
> all accounts but somehow gio serialized.

Nope , it turns out that what i need is the correct stock-icon names lol.
i had been trying using the stock name question ,, then discovered it
doesn't exist but works using dialog-question
Doh!

So i can simply use ["icon": "info"] or ["icon": "dialog-question"] or
["icon": "dialog-warning"]

Probably like the KDE notification daemon that I could never get working
> with a lot of things including the icon (I seem to recall it was something
> similar about the icon needing to be converted to a string.
>
> I think the code needs to be generic though, something that'll work on any
> system.
>
> Not likely, it is a user desktop preference. 😷 For example, I've tried:
>
> https://github.com/Toqozz/wired-notify
>
> https://github.com/emersion/mako (Wayland, bluh)
>
> https://github.com/dunst-project/dunst
>
> the ugly KDE default
>
> and others
>
> each has their own way of doing things, some dont even use the
> org.freedesktop dbus thingo (which really is just an interface
> specification suggestion)
>
> anyway, best of

i thought that was the point of desktop,portal to be like a compatibility
interface  (I know, famous last words lol)

Cheers b :)

p.s. Voutts post just arrived with his suggestion to use libgio calls, may
> hel

Indeed , if i can get it working hopefully i can make a GBytesIcon and use
my own images not just stock ones.

cheers all
BruceS