[Gambas-user] Gio icon, GIcon serialized for DesktopPortal Notify?

BB adamnt42 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 26 01:58:15 CET 2023

On 26/11/23 10:38 am, Bruce Steers wrote:

> On Sat, 25 Nov 2023 at 23:53, BB <adamnt42 at gmail.com
> <mailto:adamnt42 at gmail.com>> wrote:
> Okay I get
>  Notification Daemon "MATE" "1.26.0" "1.1"
So that's the daemon you use and you can tailor your needs to that

> i can apparently send just system icon names but again it needs to be
> a "serialized GThemedIcon"  whatever that is. just an icon name string
> for all accounts but somehow gio serialized.

Probably like the KDE notification daemon that I could never get working
with a lot of things including the icon (I seem to recall it was
something similar about the icon needing to be converted to a string.
> I think the code needs to be generic though, something that'll work on
> any system.

Not likely, it is a user desktop preference. 😷 For example, I've tried:

https://github.com/Toqozz/wired-notify

https://github.com/emersion/mako (Wayland, bluh)

https://github.com/dunst-project/dunst

the ugly KDE default

and others

each has their own way of doing things, some dont even use the
org.freedesktop dbus thingo (which really is just an interface
specification suggestion)

anyway, best of

p.s. Voutts post just arrived with his suggestion to use libgio calls,
may help