[Gambas-user] CDate Documentation

Benoit Minisini benoit.minisini at gambas-basic.org
Mon Nov 14 14:02:58 CET 2022

Le 14/11/2022 à 13:52, Bruce Steers a écrit :

> On Mon, 14 Nov 2022 at 12:03, Benoit Minisini
> <benoit.minisini at gambas-basic.org
> <mailto:benoit.minisini at gambas-basic.org>> wrote:
>
>     Le 14/11/2022 à 12:43, Claus Dietrich a écrit :
>      > I agree with Jussi. Here is my summary of concrete arguments to
>     change
>      > the CDate() function:
>      >

>     Gambas will keep its logic, because it's logic, and CDate() won't
>     change, because it will break programs.
>
>     Regards,
>
>     --
>     Benoît Minisini.
>

> That is a VERY strong counter-argument and one to remember for any
> argument that something in gambas must change.
> Any commands that have been around for sometime cannot just change as
> they're probably being used in many programs already and may break them.
>
> Like Benoit says Claus you either have to get your head around the logic
> of the way it is and has always been (most others have), or make a
> command to do it how you think it should be done.
> No long-time gambas command is going to change how it works for you or
> anyone unless there is a bug that's interfering with how Benoit made it
> to function.
>
> So...
> What EXACTLY is the desired result you are wanting to achieve with the
> existing date functions as they currently work?
>

> Respects
> BruceS

I think the core of this misunderstanding is the definition of what is a
"date".

The Gambas "Date", is not a "date" in the common sense, but an integer
representation of an absolute instant in time.

So if you think that a Gambas "Date" is a "date" in the common sense,
the behaviour of the different date/time functions becomes automatically
not coherent with what you have in mind.

Benoît Minisini.