[Gambas-user] desktop mouse

bb adamnt42 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 5 18:18:47 CEST 2022

On Tue, 2022-04-05 at 18:00 +0200, Gianluigi wrote:
> Il giorno mar 5 apr 2022 alle ore 17:29 bb <adamnt42 at gmail.com> ha
> scritto:
>

> > Hi Gianluigi,
> >
> > I don't believe this is what he is after. It looks like it's an
> > attempt
> > at desktop automation. In other words, move the mouse to somewhere
> > known on the desktop plane and then execute a click at that
> > position.
> >
> > There are a couple of points that I don't think are clear:
> >
> > 1) No solution will work on a Wayland based desktop as wayland is
> > designed to specifically prevent this happening.
> > 2) It can therefore only be possible under X.
> > 3) Getting the X server to accept a click (or any other hardware
> > signal
> > for that matter) from a running program instead of the hardware is
> > notoriously difficult. It is also from my experience, very X
> > version
> > dependant. BruceS' suggested approach is probably the best option,
> > but
> > I would not guarantee the result on any xlib version, only the one
> > that
> > the interface was coded for.
> > 4) The xevent tracing utility "xev" can be used to illustrate the
> > complexity of the issue.
> >
> > best regards
> > bruce
> >

> Hi Bruce B,
>
> where do you get your certainty from?
> It also works here on Wayland.
> This is a demonstration that, if one reasons about it, can work
> according
> to various needs.
> It reads all the links present on the desktop and stores their X and
> position but, if you want, you can store the rectangle too.
>
> I suggest you to study better :-D
>
> Regards
> Gianluigi
>
> ----[ http://gambaswiki.org/wiki/doc/netiquette ]----
OK might be out of date, but the original intent of wayland was to
remedy security holes in X...

LWN 2013
"Timothée divided up the discussion of security somewhat differently in
this part of the presentation, beginning by talking about the security
of input in Wayland/Weston. On this front, the new system is in good
shape. Because Weston knows where applications are on the screen, it is
able to decide which application should receive input events (this
differs from the X server). This defeats key logging applications.
Regarding integrity of input, the kernel limits access to the two main
sources (/dev/input and /dev/uinput) to the root user only. Because
Wayland/Weston does not (yet) support virtual keyboards it is not (yet)
possible to forge input. (The topic of virtual keyboards was revisited
later in the talk.) "
https://lwn.net/Articles/517375/