[Gambas-user] Minimum components for WebForms developing

bb adamnt42 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 28 21:23:18 CET 2021

On Mon, 2021-11-29 at 05:44 +1030, bb wrote:
> On Sun, 2021-11-28 at 19:51 +0100, Benoît Minisini wrote:
> > Le 28/11/2021 à 18:34, Jesus Guardon a écrit :
> > > Hi, Benoît
> > >
> > > Glad of hearing from you. Hope you are well and eventually
> > > healed.

> > > Yes, it's Ubuntu 20.4 and Gambas stable from PPA.
> > >
> > > Attached is a *simulation* of installing gambas3-runtime.
> > >
> > > It does install x11-common x11-utils x11-xserver-utils amongst a
> > > lot of
> > > other stuff. If I understand correctly, x11-common description
> > > is:

> > > So it seems I'm correct. This is not the "recommended" packages,
> > > but
> > > "additional" packages that will be forcibly installed.
> > >

> > I have no idea why it installs these packages that are just
> > "recommandations", but not "dependencies"... I will think about
> > removing
> > 'xdg-utils' from the 'gambas-runtime' dependencies, but It will
> > mean
> > creating a new package just for that stuff. Pfff....
> >
> Don't know if this helps, but I have noticed that certain distros
> have
> tampered with the package installers so that "recommended" are
> automatically treated as required dependencies. I found this out this
> year cruising through distros to find a new one for our server. I
> cannot recall which ones did this, nor why. Another case of "if its
> not
> broken then fiddle with it".
>
> Maybe there is a tweak somewhere for the OP's package installer that
> can make it not do such silly things?

a) I had bit of a paddle through the interwebs and found this [1] very
old thread on AskUbuntu. It may no longer be true, but the author of
the top answer stated "Recommends are installed by default (since
Lucid)." and "To negate this for a specific package, use apt-get --no-
install-recommends install pkg".

b) I had a look at the /etc/apt/apt.conf on my system and found it
contains the following:
	// Recommends are as of now still abused in many packages
	APT::Install-Recommends "0";
	APT::Install-Suggests "0";
Maybe Jesus could take a look at that file on his system?

[1]
https://askubuntu.com/questions/18545/installing-suggested-recommended-packages