[Gambas-user] Minimum components for WebForms developing

bb adamnt42 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 28 20:14:27 CET 2021

On Sun, 2021-11-28 at 19:51 +0100, Benoît Minisini wrote:
> Le 28/11/2021 à 18:34, Jesus Guardon a écrit :
> > Hi, Benoît
> >
> > Glad of hearing from you. Hope you are well and eventually healed.

> > > No, gambas-runtime should no depend on an X11-server, but I see
> > > that
> > > the 'gambas-runtime' package depends on the 'xdg-utils' package.
> > > >
> > > According to synaptic, 'xdg-utils' does not depend on anything,
> > > but
> > > -recommends- some x11 packages.
> > >
> > > Could it be the reason why installing 'gambas-runtime' installs
> > > 'x11-server'? Or maybe you are not on Ubuntu, you didn't tell...
> > >

> > Yes, it's Ubuntu 20.4 and Gambas stable from PPA.
> >
> > Attached is a *simulation* of installing gambas3-runtime.
> >
> > It does install x11-common x11-utils x11-xserver-utils amongst a
> > lot of
> > other stuff. If I understand correctly, x11-common description is:

> > So it seems I'm correct. This is not the "recommended" packages,
> > but
> > "additional" packages that will be forcibly installed.
> >

> I have no idea why it installs these packages that are just
> "recommandations", but not "dependencies"... I will think about
> removing
> 'xdg-utils' from the 'gambas-runtime' dependencies, but It will mean
> creating a new package just for that stuff. Pfff....

Don't know if this helps, but I have noticed that certain distros have
tampered with the package installers so that "recommended" are
automatically treated as required dependencies. I found this out this
year cruising through distros to find a new one for our server. I
cannot recall which ones did this, nor why. Another case of "if its not
broken then fiddle with it".

Maybe there is a tweak somewhere for the OP's package installer that
can make it not do such silly things?