[Gambas-user] A curious thing happens with translations.

Martin mbelmonte at belmotek.net
Tue May 4 18:57:03 CEST 2021

/I'm not talking about how languages codes (fr_FR) are interpreted by
the system, but by the Gambas interpreter./
 > Ok, I understand you point now.
/So you have "es_ES" and "es", but you have "fr" and not "fr_FR" in
Gambas.//
//There is the "es_ES" / "es" distinction because some spanish user told
me that the distinction must be made./
 > Ok, now is very clear. I will discus it in spanish forum.
/When the interpreter search for a translation, it tries the one
specified by the system localization ("xx_YY"), and if it does not
exist, it tries the more general "xx" one.//
/> Ok, I agree with this logic in general but in the particular case of
the spanish language, it would only be necessary "es_XX.po" in the case
of a very specific program in which, for example, legal terms or
something like that are used. then for 95% of the programs it is enough
with "es.po".

/This is why there is no "fr_FR" one in Gambas, because it would be the
same as "fr".//
//The language you define in the project property dialog is the language
you use to write your untranslated strings. It's by default the current
language, but, of course, if you write your strings in English, you must
put "English" there.//
/> I'm agree

/You said: "I prefer that by default the IDE generates files without
localization because in the case of Spanish there are many variants.//
//Then if you want to create a specific localization you can do it
manually."//
/

 > Yes, but, obligatorily, the interpreter creates a translation
es_ES.po or the specific version of Spanish it finds in the localisation
of the system, for example, es_PE.po, es_AR.po etc. This, in practice,
would mean that there would be many repeated translations. Then knowing
that there are 500 million native Spanish speakers in the world, the
default translation should be common Spanish and not a variant of
Spanish specific to a region or country. This is a statistical issue.
So to conclude. As you explained before that someone from Spain
requested that by default it should be the particular option (local)
rather than the general one (common), I would like to leave the
reflection in the air anyway.
As global Spanish is much more standard than French for example, don't
you think that the logical default translation option should be common
Spanish?

I'm not talking about removing the localised Spanish translation
options, but rather that these should be the options to be added manually.

1st  > Spanish(Common)
2nd > Spanish(Localized)

Regards.

Martín.