[Gambas-user] A curious thing happens with translations.

Benoît Minisini g4mba5 at gmail.com
Tue May 4 17:10:40 CEST 2021

Le 04/05/2021 à 16:58, Martin a écrit :
> Hello, first of all, I tell you that I am very happy with Gambas3 IDE. I
> give my opinion as a developer and user, I try to be constructive and it
> is not my intention to criticize, I just try that some small details
> change to make the user experience better. I am replying in bold so you
> don't confuse the paragraphs.
> ----------

You don't get the point, but it's my fault, I was not clear in my answer.

I'm not talking about how languages codes (fr_FR) are interpreted by the
system, but by the Gambas interpreter.

So you have "es_ES" and "es", but you have "fr" and not "fr_FR" in Gambas.

There is the "es_ES" / "es" distinction because some spanish user told
me that the distinction must be made.

When the interpreter search for a translation, it tries the one
specified by the system localization ("xx_YY"), and if it does not
exist, it tries the more general "xx" one.

This is why there is no "fr_FR" one in Gambas, because it would be the
same as "fr".

The language you define in the project property dialog is the language
you use to write your untranslated strings. It's by default the current
language, but, of course, if you write your strings in English, you must
put "English" there.

You said: "I prefer that by default the IDE generates files without
localization because in the case of Spanish there are many variants.
Then if you want to create a specific localization you can do it manually."

It's already the case. You can choose any of the Spanish variants (if
one is missing, I will add it).

--
Benoît Minisini