[Gambas-user] A curious thing happens with translations.

Martin mbelmonte at belmotek.net
Tue May 4 16:58:22 CEST 2021

Hello, first of all, I tell you that I am very happy with Gambas3 IDE. I
give my opinion as a developer and user, I try to be constructive and it
is not my intention to criticize, I just try that some small details
change to make the user experience better. I am replying in bold so you
don't confuse the paragraphs.
----------

/You must define the default language of your project in the project
property dialog to "Spanish (common)"./
*Why? the system is es_ES but the project is english EEUU*

/By default, this default language is computed from your current
localization./
*Why? it is arbitrary, I think*

/The Gambas IDE has an internal list of supported languages. Not all
localization are supported./
*ok, I know that, but it is not the matter of this email.*

/So, for example, you have "es" for common Spanish, and "es_ES" for
Spanish from Spain. So the default language is "es_ES" (Spanish from
Spain) on your computer, not the common spain you want./

*In this case i mus change the whole system language for porgram some
Gambas3 project that have english as primary language. That is not fun
neither practical.**
**Usually i program in two scenarios, Spanish and English. So linking
the gambas project to the system language does not seem to me an optimal
way to do it since the same developer can participate in projects of
different base languages.*

/But "fr" is for French from France (it is assumed to be the "common"
french), and there is no "fr_FR".  So in French, the default language is
directly "fr"./
*Sory but that is not correct, French for France is fr_FR not just fr,
it is for french neutral, same way that "es" that is the spanish neutral.**
**Sample:**
*

*French (Belgium)    fr_BE**
**French (Canada)    fr_CA**
**French (France)    fr_FR**
**French (Luxembourg)    fr_LU**
**French (Switzerland)    fr_CH**
**French    fr*

*Same for English, Spanish, etc.*

*At the average level of Gambas3 programs, in practice, have not sense
translate many Spanish versions, like I assume some developer that
programs in english as base not translate to fr_FR, fr_CA, fr_BE his
programs right?**
**Again, I think the default version of any language must be the neutral
version. Same you do in french that is not utilize fr_FR but yes fr**
**Please if is possible, change the behavior for Spanish like in French*

Regards,

Martín.