[Gambas-user] Free as in freedom

Martin mbelmonte at belmotek.net
Mon Feb 22 10:21:37 CET 2021

In my opinion, software developers should not restrict the freedoms of
others, that is where the "open" concept comes in, but then to prevent
someone from taking over the software and "closing" it, the concept of
"free" (GPL) appears, which ensures that the software and all its
derivatives are always free.
Open software does not ensure your freedom whereas free software (GPL) does.
If, for example, you develop a program for a few years and license it
with BSD and then if a company takes the code and improves it and
distributes the binary program, you will never see those improvements
because the company is not obliged to publish the improved source code.
On the other hand, if you use GPL everything that a company (or others
developpers) improves on a free code and distributes the binary, it is
legally obliged to distribute the source code also with the same freedoms.

Regards

Martín