[Gambas-user] Free as in freedom

Gianluigi bagonergi at gmail.com
Fri Feb 19 11:19:53 CET 2021

Il giorno ven 19 feb 2021 alle ore 11:01 Martin <mbelmonte at belmotek.net> ha
scritto:

> I believe that software is the result of a collective creation, but even
> the lonely programmer (most of us), to learn, needs to study other
> programs, so it could be said that there is no such thing as an isolated
> programmer. Maybe Alan Turing?
>
> Free software is a world heritage site, it is like cooking recipes, fire,
> agriculture, the wheel or the library of Alexandria.
>
> That the software is free as in freedom makes the world better, in Spanish
> there are two different words for what is free as in freedom (LIBRE) and
> what is free as open bar (GRATIS), but in English it is a little bit
> confusing.
>
> If we base our business model on restricting the freedom of others, I
> think we would be making a mistake, I think we would be being selfish.
>
> If we start talking only about the OPENING of free software and not about
> FREEDOM, I think that again we are making another mistake.
>
> I say thanks to Benoit and all those who made and make GAMBAS possible and offer
> it to everyone to use it and also to study it (it is not a minor data) and
> modify it.
>
> I say tanks to all that share your own creations as Software LIBRE it is
> very important.

This distinction also exists in English, open and free, and seems that it
is one man of this lang that created the GPL.

If you come to my pastry shop to buy an GPL cake, in addition to the cake,
you also get the recipe.

If you buy the cake that the manufacturer gave me free, I only sell you the
cake.

On the basic moral concepts I think agree with you.

Regards
Gianluigi