[Gambas-user] Free as in freedom

Martin mbelmonte at belmotek.net
Fri Feb 19 10:49:51 CET 2021

I believe that software is the result of a collective creation, but even
the lonely programmer (most of us), to learn, needs to study other
programs, so it could be said that there is no such thing as an isolated
programmer. Maybe Alan Turing?

Free software is a world heritage site, it is like cooking recipes,
fire, agriculture, the wheel or the library of Alexandria.

That the software is free as in freedom makes the world better, in
Spanish there are two different words for what is free as in freedom
(LIBRE) and what is free as open bar (GRATIS), but in English it is a
little bit confusing.

If we base our business model on restricting the freedom of others, I
think we would be making a mistake, I think we would be being selfish.

If we start talking only about the OPENING of free software and not
about FREEDOM, I think that again we are making another mistake.

I say thanks to Benoit and all those who made and make GAMBAS possible
and offer it to everyone to use it and also to study it (it is not a
minor data) and modify it.

I say tanks to all that share your own creations as Software LIBRE it is
very important.

Regards.

Martin