[Gambas-user] How to create a plugin system for your Gambas project

Bruce Steers bsteers4 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 18 23:18:42 CET 2021

On Thu, 18 Feb 2021, 18:38 olivier coquet, <ocoquet at 3d-phenomen.fr> wrote:

> Hello bruce,
>
> It seems that I don't understand things very well.
> *It is not the Gambas mailing list but the Gambas USERS mailing list,
> nuance*.
> Where is it written that these users should only develop free software?
> Certainly not in the GPL license (read it again, it seems to me that you
> miss some information about it).

No.

To my knowledge, Gambas is a tool, a tool is made to do things, free or
> not. AND in any case, I think that the only one whose opinion may be
> relevant at this stage is Benoit, if he tells me he disagrees with the
> principle of developing commercial software with Gambas I would bow, but
> until he gives an opinion I remain on my position.
> I thought that the Gambas community had evolved in the direction of
> open-mindedness, it seems that this is not the case.

The gambas community are trying to help you!

I'm the only one having a moan? It's a horrible job but someone has to do
it. 😉

You remind me of me when I first came here. Lots of great ideas of my own
but no idea how the already existing system works.

Saying things like "gambas should do this and that"
Then finding it already does but I just didn't know how to do it.
Getting help but not really listening as my own ideals still making too
much noise.
 But then listening,  and like you considering what Benoit says about
gambas to be gospel and understanding things to accept (mostly, I may have
argued a couple of points)

And thinking there will be lots of interest in my ideas but then maybe get
1 or 2 people respond.

I realised other people are just busy, i need to learn myself, people can
advise but dont have the time teach me all I do not understand.

people's interest in my projects matters not.
I've made my projects for me (well all except the simple gambas upgrader)
I like them, that's what matters.
I need nobody's approval.

You seem to me to be someone always looking to make a buck, gonna have that
great idea that'll make a fortune.

I'm not saying you shouldn't want to make money. I do wonder how you'll
moralise using free software to make commercial software but thats just me.
I'm just saying most people here are more free spirited. We use free
software, we make free software. Heres an analogy,  some of us are
starfleet some are ferengi 😉

Curious to know if you ever made a commercial gambas program that made
money if youd think about sending Benoit some royalties? Or the people here
who are helping you understand an ide you clearly have a lot to learn about.

I'm not talking about rules or requirements.
Just a curiosiry.

Of course there are no rules about not making commercial software or asking
about it here or paying Benoit, (I think? Maybe gambas cannot be used
freely for commercial software? I do not know the details of that) I'm just
reminding you about the world you're in now. You got that ferengi look
about you. 😆

Please do not refer to "the gambas community" when you refer to me. The
gambas community are a great bunch.

I'm a complete nob though 😉

But I have my plus side 😇
Be well Oli