[Gambas-user] http component and strong Reaction

Bruce Steers bsteers4 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 3 14:53:22 CET 2021

On Wed, 3 Feb 2021 at 09:24, Olivier Coquet <ocoquet at 3d-phenomen.fr> wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I'm sorry that my question about the release of a component caused such
> a strong reaction.

Some of us are just strong, it's how we react ;)

I was just asking myself a question, my intention was not to create a
> polemic.

Should asking "yourself" a question involve a mailing list? ;)
No you posted your question to a group of people and got a group of
Such is the life we must deal with.

> As to whether I intend to make money with my development, the answer is
> no for the http-server component and yes for other developments that are
> intended for particular users with a real need and no development
> knowledge (Domopi product in development).

I think if you go by the amount of response and interest you have had in
your server it's probably for the best ;)

> For the http component, I don't pretend to do better or as good as
> Apache, but to make it simpler for non competent users.
>
> My reflection on Windows was a provocation (sorry Bruce) and was not
> intended to trigger a general outcry.

General outcry?  i think you are over-bloating things here.
I said my piece, you got a bit of sarcasm from me that ramped up a little
when you dissed gambas (i'm like that) and you had an awesome reply from
BrianG that even inspired me, you should respond to that post not what I
said :)

> To close this discussion, I've been using Linux for 25 years now and I
> largely participated in its development, it's a product I believe in.
> And chances are that each of you is unknowingly using pieces of my
> (volunteer) work.

ooh, what parts of Linux itself did you largely help develop?

Last but not least, since I posted the source code of my http component
> on the Farm, my test server has been under regular attack on points that
> only knowledge of the source code can justify, hence my initial question.

hmm , have you tried Apache2 ? i think it has proper security features  ;)
:p
(hehe sorry, i had to say it because it was funny ;) )

So what you are saying here is that some person or persons have taken your
code from the farm and dissected it and they are now "regularly" trying to
hack your computer?
That is really not good at all.
You appear to be quite a victim :(
I hope your server is logging the IP addresses from these attacks and you
are reporting them.

Anyway...
Suck it up Oliver , take it like a man , we're all friends here. Only we're
coders so more like having Vulcan friends where emotion does not quite win
over logic. This aint facebook you know.

My comments about making the money was less a personal query and more about
the general linux vibe.
All of Linux being free, built on code that people have written for free,
and openly. this is just the Linux way unlike the Window$ way. And not too
relevant to your reason for wanting closed source, just another reason for
it, sorry to confuse an issue.

Sorry for any upset but I'm the type of person who says things how i see
it, not sugar coat things like i'm talking to an over-sensitive woman.
(see, that last sentence both explained and demonstrated at the same time)

But don't over-react fella, have a laugh, there's always a funny side.

What's funny is the irony of me talking bad about "hacks" lol , half my
code is hacks, I know it , they know it,  i felt like such a hypocrite
saying it. :D
But I think I am well aware of what's considered a hack, one man's hack is
another man's workaround but at least i am open about it, one of my apps is
called GrubHack , I called it that because it edits the grub file yet my
knowledge of grub is limited so the app does not so much edit the grub
config on a deeply understood level, it hacks it on a surface level with
the little understanding it has, thus it's reliability is in question an it
needs to be clear about that.
The security measure you are implementing is clearly a hack, I think if you
are serious about implementing security then you should look into something
more bulletproof. and don't blame gambas or the open source ethos for your
not so bulletproof code. We are talking about a component you wish other
people to use, and we are talking about internet security, you cannot put
people at risk by not doing things properly, and that's what could happen,
so that is the reason for my "strong" words.
Understand the strength of my words was not to attack but to be very clear
about quite a serious subject that i think you need a good think about.

Some of the other replies were much better than mine, respond to those ones
:)

Love, peace and understanding <3
BruceS