[Gambas-user] Reduced activity

T Lee Davidson t.lee.davidson at gmail.com
Sat Dec 4 19:37:44 CET 2021

On 12/3/21 6:30 PM, Christof Thalhofer wrote:

[snip]
> The RKI (Robert Koch Institut) in Germany states about Ivermectin (Translation):

>> A meta-analysis of 14 randomised clinical trials (N=1678 patients,
>> outpatients and hospitalised patients in separate analyses).
>>
>> * No effectiveness with respect to the clinical endpoints studied, such as
>> 28-day mortality, clinical endpoints such as 28-day mortality, clinical
>> worsening with the need for need for NIV/IMV* or O2 supplementation by day
>> 28, viral clearance on day clearance on day 7 and no or low effect on
>> clinical improvement by day 28. clinical improvement by day 28.
>>
>> * Low to very low level of evidence Several clinical trials with systemic
>> and inhaled administration Not yet completed Reports of relevant toxicity
>> in case of overdose.
[snip]

Well, the US National Institute of Health disagrees with the Robert Koch Institut. Perhaps you could have done a bit more research.

Merck also put a statement against ivermectin. Hmm, I wonder why. Could it be because there is no profit in it for them? Is it
possible that the RKI also has a conflict of interest?

> And doxycycline is a broad-spectrum antibiotic against bacteria with quite hard side effects:
[snip]
> Why should it help against viruses?

Because it also has anti-viral properties. And, it has anti-inflammatory properties as well.

On 12/3/21 6:49 PM, Jussi Lahtinen wrote:
 > I will look later, if there is an explanation for the Indian numbers.
 > However, ivermectin and doxycycline do not explain it.[snip]
 > We do not eat them for a reason and it is not a conspiracy.

I find it interesting that you, in your expert opinion, can conclusively state that ivermectin and doxycycline do not explain it
when other experts indicate a different possibility. And, your blanket statement that, "We do not eat them for a reason," is
factually incorrect as, obviously, some do; and, your reasoning is unsound.

"Review of the Emerging Evidence Demonstrating the Efficacy of Ivermectin in the Prophylaxis and Treatment of COVID-19"
[https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8088823/]:
"Meta-analyses based on 18 randomized controlled treatment trials of ivermectin in COVID-19 have found large, statistically
significant reductions in mortality, time to clinical recovery, and time to viral clearance. Furthermore, results from numerous
controlled prophylaxis trials report significantly reduced risks of contracting COVID-19 with the regular use of ivermectin.
Finally, the many examples of ivermectin distribution campaigns leading to rapid population-wide decreases in morbidity and
mortality indicate that an oral agent effective in all phases of COVID-19 has been identified."

"Ivermectin for Prevention and Treatment of COVID-19 Infection: A Systematic Review, Meta-analysis, and Trial Sequential
Analysis to Inform Clinical Guidelines"
[https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8248252/]:
"Moderate-certainty evidence finds that large reductions in COVID-19 deaths are possible using ivermectin. Using ivermectin
early in the clinical course may reduce numbers progressing to severe disease. The apparent safety and low cost suggest that
ivermectin is likely to have a significant impact on the SARS-CoV-2 pandemic globally."

"Effects of Ivermectin in Patients With COVID-19: A Multicenter, Double-blind, Randomized, Controlled Clinical Trial"
[https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8101859/]:
"A single dose of ivermectin was well-tolerated in symptomatic patients with COVID-19, and important clinical features of
COVID-19 were improved with ivermectin use, including dyspnea, cough, and lymphopenia. Further studies with larger sample sizes,
different drug dosages, dosing intervals and durations, especially in different stages of the disease, may be useful in
understanding the potential clinical benefits ivermectin."

"A five-day course of ivermectin for the treatment of COVID-19 may reduce the duration of illness"
[https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33278625/]:
"Ivermectin, a US Food and Drug Administration-approved anti-parasitic agent, was found to inhibit severe acute respiratory
syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) replication in vitro. [...] Virological clearance was earlier in the 5-day ivermectin
treatment arm when compared to the placebo group [...] There were no severe adverse drug events recorded in the study. A 5-day
course of ivermectin was found to be safe and effective in treating adult patients with mild COVID-19."

"Ivermectin in COVID-19"
[https://covid19criticalcare.com/ivermectin-in-covid-19/]:
"We regard ivermectin as a core medication in the prevention and treatment of COVID-19."

"Doxycycline as a potential partner of COVID-19 therapies"
[https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7298522/]:
"Because patients with COVID-19 are in need of both antiviral and anti-inflammatory treatment as well as protection against lung
damage, studies of proposed combination therapy is warranted. As doxycycline is inexpensive and widely available, has a safe
tolerability profile, and is an attractive option for the treatment of COVID-19 as well as potentially alleviating the lung
sequelae and also providing coverage against atypical bacterial pneumonia such as Mycoplasma pneumoniae and Legionella
pneumophilia."

"Doxycycline treatment of high-risk COVID-19-positive patients with comorbid pulmonary disease"
[https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32873175/]:
"Tetracycline and its derivatives (e.g. doxycycline and minocycline) are nontraditional antibiotics with a well-established
safety profile, potential efficacy against viral pathogens such as dengue fever and chikungunya, and may regulate pathways
important in initial infection, replication, and systemic response to SARS-CoV-2. We present a series of four high-risk,
symptomatic, COVID-19+ patients, with known pulmonary disease, treated with doxycycline with subsequent rapid clinical
improvement. No safety issues were noted with use of doxycycline."

--
Lee