[Gambas-user] Gambas Foundation?

Christof Thalhofer chrisml at deganius.de
Wed Dec 1 22:58:30 CET 2021

Am 01.12.21 um 22:19 schrieb T Lee Davidson:
> On 12/1/21 2:36 PM, Christof Thalhofer wrote:
>> But for Sympa we need a server, I am not sure if it can be run in a
>> Hostsharing Webpacket.
>
> Looking at the Sympa system requirements, I can see how installing
> and using it on shared hosting would likely be difficult if not
> virtually impossible.

Michael Hierweck, one of the chiefs of HS told me, that Sympa runs in a
HS webpacket (shared hosting, but very powerful and feature-rich). There
we can rent a so called 'daemon', this is a server which runs as the
user of the shared webpacket.

But I will have to try it out. Maybe they donate it to us.

> If procuring a dedicated server, or a VPS, is
> an issue, how about creating our own mailing list software in Gambas?
> Would that be a monumental project?

Yes, of course! The Mailman 3 development lasted a couple of years and
they are not done yet as I heard.

A dedi or VPS is also shaky, you need backup and admins (plural) to host
it reliably over time.

> There seems to be a need for a sane mailing list software based on
> re-searching for "MailMan alternatives" today. It would be something
> we could share and perhaps garner more attention to the beauty of
> Gambas.

I did a lot of investigation, because I run a couple of ML, not only the
Gambas ones. I thought about rewriting Mailman2 in Gambas, I thought
about using 'mlmmj' which is nice but seems to be dying slowly. We
(Michael and I) wanted to host the 'mlmmj' community on HS, but we
couldn't even find a person who would decide ... ??? !"§$%

I tried to convince HS to offer a common mailing list server based on
Sympa or MM3 as a service and wanted to help.

Now I run my other MLs on Sympa (on a VPS) and it is satisfying. I see,
that Sympa is actively developed and has lots of professional users. So
it won't die too fast. It's sth like Postgresql.

> BTW, is there a reason we haven't moved toward a web-based discussion
> forum proper? If I recall correctly from previous discussion, there
> are those who prefer the mailing list format, correct?

Yes. But Sympa also has the possibility that the archive can be used to
write and answer posts, so it's a hybrid thing, which can also be used
as a traditional forum.

Personally I don't like webforums very much, they are awful to manage.
And as long as Linus runs the development of the Linux kernel on a
mailinglist I won't recommend any other thing for that task. If people
want to run the Gambas discussions on a webforum instead of MLs I would
quit and let they do the job.

Alles Gute

Christof Thalhofer

--