[Gambas-user] Gambas Foundation?

Christof Thalhofer chrisml at deganius.de
Wed Dec 1 21:44:18 CET 2021

Am 01.12.21 um 20:36 schrieb Christof Thalhofer:

> Btw we're going to face problems with the mailiglists in future, because
> Mailman2 will be abandoned in the next Debian release. I would like to
> switch to Sympa which I use for a few other MLs I manage.
>
> But for Sympa we need a server, I am not sure if it can be run in a
> Hostsharing Webpacket.
>
> I will talk about it in another thread.

Whuups, no, in this thread ...

I actually don't like that we use "free" services from corporations that
can suddenly be closed on all sorts of occasions. I am extremely
suspicious of this from experience (except for Hostsharing [HS], which I
have known for a long time). HS currently just hosts our mailinglist on
the subdomain lists.gambas-basic.org – it's not the owner and we can
move somewhere else at any time.

http://gambas.sourceforge.net is owned by Sourceforge. It's their child,
they can close or rename it at their will at any time.

I think that we should think about setting up some kind of organisation
that can collect donations, but also funding from states or the EU.
There are efforts in the EU and Germany to promote open source, we
should use that.

Another option would be for us to join an existing open source
organisation. That could save us bureaucracy.

We just need some money to get some essential things. For example, our
own website, a Sympa mailing list, and not this completely outdated
script Mailman2. Maybe also our own Git server later on. That means
costs of roughly estimated 100 to 1000 EUR/year if we host that on
reliable servers.

Ok, currently we get free webspace and traffic from HS, but I am not
sure, if they give us a daemon for free, which I would need for Sympa to
run the mailinglists and the archive in future. I will ask them.

Let's finally use http://gambas-basic.org/, we could transfer this
domain at first to HS (where the subdomain
https://lists.gambas-basic.org resides), I can manage it there and give
access to anyone who wants to build a website. Of course Benoît gets all
the keys. Hosting the domain gambas-basic.org at HS costs 20,00 €/year.

When we have a website people who are interested could advertise Gambas
and do some public relations. At the moment, very few people even know
that Gambas exists. Currently it is an exotic language, although it is
actually designed to be widely used. Our own website and some services
can be a starting point for that.

Alles Gute

Christof Thalhofer

--