[Gambas-user] Gambas Foundation?

Christof Thalhofer chrisml at deganius.de
Wed Dec 1 22:06:10 CET 2021

Am 01.12.21 um 20:57 schrieb Benoît Minisini:

>> Btw we're going to face problems with the mailiglists in future, because
>> Mailman2 will be abandoned in the next Debian release. I would like to
>> switch to Sympa which I use for a few other MLs I manage.
>
> Why working things are often abandoned?

I can only tell from things I heard:

Guido van Rossum, the BDFL of Python, made a mistake as he made the
incompatible Python3 after Python2 in the hope that people will rewrite
their software.

They should have done it like the Perl guys who gave Perl6 a new name:
Parrot.

Mailman2 uses Python2 and was never updated, instead Mailman3 was
written new 'from scratch'*, an over-ambitioned project as I heard.

Unfortunately the subversions of Python3 carry a lot of
incompatibilities so that Python programmers today are confronted with
many problems.

I looked around and found Sympa to be a very reliable mailing list
manager with archive. A lot of universities use it for thousands and
thousands of lists. Sympa is written in Perl. :-)

Alles Gute

Christof Thalhofer

*
https://www.joelonsoftware.com/2000/04/06/things-you-should-never-do-part-i/