[Gambas-user] Gambas Foundation?

Christof Thalhofer chrisml at deganius.de
Wed Dec 1 10:46:20 CET 2021

Hello Gianluigi,

Am 01.12.21 um 10:00 schrieb Gianluigi:

> it seems to me that no one wanted to snub your proposal or disrespect
> you, if this seems like I apologize.
> Only one wonders: what does it add to what is already there?
> If you want to participate, you can and if you show your skills you join
> the programmer's club.
> Since Benoit is a 'one man' no one forbids, before or after his
> 'departure', to fork and move forward on the new track.

I think there are many things that only Benoît knows, and that only he
has access to, but that are necessary for the language to persist or at
least remain in distributions. Unfortunately, this leads to the fact
that the bus factor* in Gambas is IMO very high (please pardon the
cynical name).

This could also be a reason why, for example, companies decide against
introducing an otherwise extremely practical language, simply because
the future of the language seems uncertain.

But if there were a team - it doesn't matter what you call it officially
- that shared all the necessary information, i.e. ssh keys, passwords,
access to important information, also documentation, then the future
would be a bit safer. And if an organisational form could be found that
would show this to the outside world, it would also document to the
world that the further development of Gambas does not rest on the
shoulders of just one person.

> All those who use Gambas love it, a little less, or so it seems to me,
> the 'political' ideas of its creator ;-D

I like all political ideas that are expressed. Because then they can be
discussed.

Alles Gute

Christof Thalhofer

* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bus_factor