[Gambas-user] shell highlighting on non beta gambas

Bruce Steers bsteers4 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 19 02:58:37 CET 2020

 > And I fully understand my friend but I think you overestimate the

> public's
>  > ability or desire to get the latest beta on their systems. I don't.
>  > Even the stable version, for a lot if it's not in Synaptic it won't get
>  > installed.
>  > I'm thinking of the user not the programmer here. I think most with an
>  > ability to get into gambas programming will also have the ability to
>  > upgrade. But we are not taking into account the average idiot
>  >
> (That is as far as I read.)

Yeah this list for some isn't really the place for a conversation is it.
brief bug/help (providing i've searched all i can through old info form
previous versions)
Duly noted Bruce.

Bruce,

> As a developer and a user I do not, repeat DO NOT, want new features
> backported into gambas stable versiuons ever, repeat EVER!

stable?

> Critical emergency bug fixes maybe, but fully under BM's control and
> very largely highlighted if it were ever needed.

BM's clearly got his hands full at the forefront of the latest.

> IMHO Your whole concept of backporting Gambas is ludicrous. very few
> linux applications need to support multiple versions with backporting.
> In fact the only one I can think of is postgresql. Maybe the kernel
> development group should backport eveerything from 5.9.4 to 1.0.0 just
> because someone might need it.

You are not thinking of others using your software  though.
You just use your own gambas to do your own thing.
And it was you who said "gambas should not be a single user application" or
words to that effect.
To make software for others to use also you then have to think of
compatibility issues they may face.
for every piece of software, running on all (or at least the most popular)
operating systems.
When i get a visual basic app on windows it works.
runtimes are installed to handle the apps, not just the latest hard to
install version.
the later newer apps involve a simple download and install of the vb
runtime installer. Simples.
Much simpler than Gambas.
A developer and user like yourself can easily handle upgrading gambas.
Your average monkey can't though. And you wonder why gambas does not go
beyond a single programmer environment type of thing?

You have the means to backport Gambas if that is what you personally
> desire. As you said "do it youself".

Er, that's exactly what i just did do. maybe you should have read the rest
of the email before drawing all your conclusions?
just a couple of features.
shell highlighting for example because i'm probably not going to suck up to
anyone enough to get it added to the so called stable version innit. like
it's my loss lol. ;)

It matters not as i've provided a solution now for all regardless of how
ludicrous you may think it is  :)  some people might just call it a "patch"

the only issue is going to be with the 3.15.2 as i just noticed it hit
3.15.3 so i'll have to ensure my updates stay updated but meh , we'll
probably hit 3.16 before long ;) :p  but for now i can remove the updated
terminal view as 3.15 caught up.
Hope I'm not boring you with my personal predicaments / opinions /
explanations / disapproval ?
But you felt the need to tell me yours so here we are.
Thanks for the  , er , rebuff ,  anyway.

BruceS
(A very different Bruce, an old English bugger)