[Gambas-user] shell highlighting on non beta gambas

Christof Thalhofer chrisml at deganius.de
Thu Nov 19 10:17:16 CET 2020

Am 19.11.20 um 02:58 schrieb Bruce Steers:

> Yeah this list for some isn't really the place for a conversation is it.

This list is for conversation for all about Gambas. That Gambas we all
agree on.

But you might want to admit that the people here are not willing to add
new features to old versions of Gambas. I am also one of them.

You found a bug, good! And it was fixed in the current dev version of
Gambas. Great! But you will have to live with the fact that the fix will
not be released in any stable version until the next stable version of
Gambas is available.

Everyone here does. I was also hit by bugs and had to wait.

Because there are numerous bugs found in stable versions these bugs must
be seen as features. If we do not see it that way, we will all go to hell!

Others have been in that hell earlier, found this approach as a solution
and therefor we all in the current world of software development agree
in that:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_release_life_cycle#Stable_release

For the stability of your program you can write a small piece of code
that warns a user if hit by the bug of the older Gambas version. Or you
can disable a feature. For that you can use 'Application.Version'.

But if you lead users of your software to install* the latest dev
version of Gambas, you might put them at risk because dev versions are
not stable and may contain far worse bugs!

And if you fork Gambas and change old stable versions, you will probably
not find anyone in this list who wants to talk to you about that,
because this would no be the Gambas we all agree on.

Alles Gute

Christof Thalhofer

* https://gitlab.com/bsteers4/scripted

--