[Gambas-user] Mailinglist was down for a few hours

Christof Thalhofer chrisml at deganius.de
Mon Aug 31 10:40:54 CEST 2020

Am 31.08.20 um 01:05 schrieb T Lee Davidson:

> On 8/30/20 5:42 AM, Christof Thalhofer wrote:
>> I would prefer this alternative: http://mlmmj.org/
> [snip]
>> So we could create a webinterface for mlmmj with Gambas webpages!
>
> Given two years, we could also create our own mailing list manager
> and archive-to-web interface. But, why reinvent the wheel?

Yes, that makes not much sense. I spoke with the Hostsharing
hostmasters, they also recommend mlmmj as an adequate replacement for
mailman2.

> Creating the user's web interface would likely be a snap. I think the
> more difficult task would be implementing a web-browseable archive.
> The MLMMJ documentation for the archive
> [http://mlmmj.org/docs/readme-archives/] gives two options:
> mlmmj-webarchiver and Hypermail [http://www.hypermail-project.org/].
>
> I don't care for the interface provided by mlmmj-webarchiver. It
> appears to be browseable only by date.

It can also display a threaded view like so:
http://www.libssh.org/archive/libssh/2020-07/

That's not much more than what we have now. In principle we don't need
more, because it is only there to run a search engine on it.

And that's the next problem: The search engine we use (Mnogosearch) is
outdated and will not be developed or even fixed in future. But its the
only one I found which can handle UTF8 and run as a simple program
switched on by cron every few hours.

I would like to keep it small and simple.

> Hypermail seems to provide for a much more interactive experience.
> However, it can only read messages in the UNIX mailbox format.

Mailman stores its data in mbox files and the archives are from that.

> I don't see the MLMMJ documentation specifying what format the
> archive uses, and the link to the scripts (which use hypermail to
> create web-browseable archives) and details
> [http://mlmmj.org/archive/mlmmj/2010-08/1710.html] is 404. So, I
> don't know how difficult it would be to interface the archive to
> Hypermail.

Also no idea here. We would have to investigate, create a mlmmj test
mailinglist by ourselves and have a look at it.

I just found that:
https://trac.common-lisp.net/clo/ticket/19

Alles Gute

Christof Thalhofer