[Gambas-user] Holidays again

Jussi Lahtinen jussi.lahtinen at gmail.com
Mon Aug 31 01:07:12 CEST 2020

> It should be, but apparently it isn't: there is almost no death of
> influenza this year in France.

I cannot comment on numbers I haven't seen.
But example in Finland influenza has killed less people due the social
distancing done because of the corona.

> In US, NCHS told that for 100 people officially died from COVID19, six
> died from COVID19 only. The other 94 had between 2 and 3 additional
> death conditions. So why focusing on COVID only? Are deaths counted
> several times in cases of comorbidities? Seems like a bug for me.

But that is the case with all things. Example in car crashes, a lot of the
victims die in hospital to heart failures, bacterial infections, organ
failures, etc. The thing that pushed the victim over their limits was still
the crash.
There is seldom only one clear reason for death, without any contributing
factors like I already stated with the influenza.
One indirect way the corona kills is that it makes intensive care units
full. Now when people enter the hospital needing ICU treatment, it is not
available and otherwise the survivable condition turns into a deadly one.

But I saw many newspaper articles in different countries telling
> that death attributed to COVID were reattributed to something else (-121
> in Belgium, -5,300 in UK, -2,000 in Spain...). It's not telling us that
> counting methods are very accurate.

I would not trust newspapers on this issue, reporters seem to have too much
hurry to publish everything before others. Not even some normally reputable
medical sources, because right now everything is published before the
peer-review.

Jussi