[Gambas-user] Holidays again

Benoît Minisini g4mba5 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 31 00:41:27 CEST 2020

Le 30/08/2020 à 22:56, Jussi Lahtinen a écrit :
>     800 000? How could we know? The COVID19 deaths and the influenza deaths
>     are not counted the same way.
>

> What do you mean? Majority of who die to influenza, die due indirect
> causes; co-infections and organ failures.
> I don't think there is any difference in how the deaths are counted.

It should be, but apparently it isn't: there is almost no death of
influenza this year in France. Either COVID 19 kills only people that
would have died from flu, either people died for actually many reasons,
and they chose COVID19 most of the time.

In US, NCHS told that for 100 people officially died from COVID19, six
died from COVID19 only. The other 94 had between 2 and 3 additional
death conditions. So why focusing on COVID only? Are deaths counted
several times in cases of comorbidities? Seems like a bug for me.

>     Moreover, a lot of deaths were first attributed to COVID19, and then
>     attributed to something else a few
>     months later.
>

> I think it is the other way around. Only when we have enough
> epidemiological data, we can say how many extra deaths were due to the
> corona. IE how many healthy people die unexpectedly post the recovery to
> the infection.
> Now we only know that corona causes complications like strokes etc, but
> we don't know the prevalence, because a lot of the cases are too much
> separated by time.

Indeed. But I saw many newspaper articles in different countries telling
that death attributed to COVID were reattributed to something else (-121
in Belgium, -5,300 in UK, -2,000 in Spain...). It's not telling us that
counting methods are very accurate.

Anyway, living in the country having one of the worst result on the
planet if no the worst may make me not very objective. :-(

--
Benoît Minisini