[Gambas-user] Request for new feature: SPI and I2C Classes

roberto roberto.premoli at tiscali.it
Mon May 13 18:55:39 CEST 2019

Hello,

I am just registered to ML, I use gambas 3.9.1 on GNU/Linux.
I write here to show my needs.

I use GAMBAS on embedded ARM board (i.e. Raspberry, Nano Pi Fire 2A and
3, and so on).
Those boards (but in general all ARM embedded boards) offer I/O and
dedicated serial lines as UART, SPI and I2C. Gambas has class SerialPort
that was great in "desktop" Era, an is still great also in embedded field.
Unfortunately, many (almost all) devices are controlled by SPI and I2C
interfaces (Analog-to-Digital/Digital-to-Analog converter, I/O expander,
EEPROM, ecc) and those chip are essential in embedded project.
Actually, I use GAMBAS to develop GUI where i use class SeriaPort to
control a microcontroller and the microcontroller controls the SPI/I2C
chip I am interested in. In other words, I must add tho the project a uC
and program it as "interpreter" between GAMBAS and the SPI/I2C devices.
It will be very nice to have 2 new classes to control the SPI and I2C
bus and skip the necessity of a "translator": it will be save space on
PCB and speed up develop of projects.
More, it will add new and good value to gambas itself, because it will
easely can became *THE* IDE for embedded platforms for all the linuxers,
like me, that like to code embedded boards but prefere gambas over
Python, C, C++, ecc.
For both protocol SPI and I2C, in my opinion is not requested immediatly
a full support (to play both as master or slave) but it can be enough
that the 2 classes SPI and I2C can play as Master, more sophisticated
mode can came later.

Thanks,

Roberto