[Gambas-user] Better use of prefixes

Jussi Lahtinen jussi.lahtinen at gmail.com
Sun Mar 17 20:31:53 CET 2019

The manual work isn't that hard really.

No doubt, it is just completely unnecessary.

> I actually do most my coding (C/C++/Python/Java) in a text editor.  Faster
> that way.  Gambas is the first IDE I've preferred over that since VB.

Yeah, they are kinda different languages. I don't use much IDE for C either
(except for Arduino).

> "my", "our", and "the" are words they are not cryptic.

Of course they are. You have no way to know what they mean in context of
programming. You have to look them from your code table.

> No, I gave you two possible names as an example: TemperatureScrollBar and
> scbTemp.  Without the former, no inference could be made about the latter.
> Indeed the usage would likely be within the context of developing an
> application for which it would be understood, but that is an assumption.

You wrote* "For a form control, I would much rather see
TemperatureScrollBar than scbTemp.", *which clearly implies they mean the
same. Now you are lying.
Or did you mean to write "For a form control, I would much rather see
TemperatureScrollBar than TemporaryScrollBar."? Doesn't make much sense!

"Appealing to the crowd" and "Appealing to Authority" are informal
fallacies, they don't automatically mean the argument is wrong or
fallacious.
Authority here is Benoit, and he ultimately makes the decision. However you
can always fork Gambas and hope someone follows you (I doubt). Also the
current convention pleases most of the people, which is it's only purpose.
Thus neither of those fallacies apply to this conversation. IE you have
fallacy fallacy.

Jussi