[Gambas-user] Better use of prefixes

Tobias Boege taboege at gmail.com
Sat Mar 16 20:45:39 CET 2019

On Sat, 16 Mar 2019, Cedron Dawg wrote:
> More readable for whom?
>
> Even between those two references there is disagreement on what the prefixes should be.  That's what I meant by non-standardized.
>
> I am crazy,

Yes, if you think that people give up the coding style used across the
entire project with (note!) success for no other reason than because
you come along and insist that it's no good and yours is better.

I've had enough lectures about this from you, on the list and in private,
to which I did not respond because I was too agitated to -- not before
but too far past the boiling point where I would reply anyway.

I like to live and let live. People usually think about coding style
at some point and afterwards it becomes muscle memory. I let them use
whatever they like and assimilate if I contribute fixes to their code.
That's just courtesy.

Even being non-standardised is _fine_. Whether someone calls their
TextBox txtInput or txbInput or tboxInput or InputTextBox or even
ourInputTB, I can handle that, I'm a human after all.

> I think everybody should do it my way because it is demonstrably superior.

All I see is you explaining how it helps *you* read code and that it
makes more sense to *you*. I for one very strongly dislike how it looks,
and that is still an understatement. It overloads identifiers with
information that I never needed to know, like a coarsened version of
lexical scope or whether a variable was passed in as an argument or
if it is a return value. How that simplifies understanding code any
further than descriptive variable name "payload", I fail to see.

When I look at your code, all I see is indistinct "clutter" because 90%
of it are identifier names now. A function that was easy to grok before
now looks like I should maybe go to lunch before diving into "that".

Regards,
Tobi