[Gambas-user] Question: Wait-sign on start

Benoît Minisini g4mba5 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 16:15:04 CET 2019

Le 12/02/2019 à 18:36, Rolf-Werner Eilert a écrit :
> Under Ubuntu Mate I don't get a Wait mouse icon when I start a Gambas
> program. Sometimes I am too hasty and don't doubleclick at one spot, so
> it doesn't start the program. But sometimes it just starts a bit more
> slowly, so when I'm nervous I start it twice. You know what I mean... :)
>
> Is it possible to get a Wait mouse icon on start, or is it a drawback of
> the interpreter which can't be changed?
>
> I know KDE has an option to set a jumping mouse on any doubleclick of
> some icon on the desktop, but in Mate other programs (those which are
> binaries) have it too.
>
> Regards
> Rolf

The "wait mouse icon" is managed by your desktop. Running Gambas on KDE
displays it for example (it's a wait mouse icon and a fake taskbar entry
with a rolling animation).

This wait mouse icon is based on some tricks done by the desktop.

I guess that the desktop displays the wait mouse icon until the first
application appears.

But I don't know why it does not work with Mate.

Here is an assumption: Mate thinks that the Gambas program is a console
program, and so does not display any wait icon.

Another assumption: Mate waits for a DBus registration, and Gambas does
not register to the DBus bus.

Can you try to make an icon for a console program on Mate, and see if
you have the wait mouse icon?

--
Benoît Minisini