[Gambas-user] Question: Wait-sign on start

Rolf-Werner Eilert rwe-sse at osnanet.de
Tue Feb 19 16:34:33 CET 2019

Am 19.02.19 um 16:15 schrieb Benoît Minisini:
> Le 12/02/2019 à 18:36, Rolf-Werner Eilert a écrit :
>> Under Ubuntu Mate I don't get a Wait mouse icon when I start a Gambas
>> program. Sometimes I am too hasty and don't doubleclick at one spot,
>> so it doesn't start the program. But sometimes it just starts a bit
>> more slowly, so when I'm nervous I start it twice. You know what I
>> mean... :)
>>
>> Is it possible to get a Wait mouse icon on start, or is it a drawback
>> of the interpreter which can't be changed?
>>
>> I know KDE has an option to set a jumping mouse on any doubleclick of
>> some icon on the desktop, but in Mate other programs (those which are
>> binaries) have it too.
>>
>> Regards
>> Rolf
>>

> The "wait mouse icon" is managed by your desktop. Running Gambas on KDE
> displays it for example (it's a wait mouse icon and a fake taskbar entry
> with a rolling animation).
>
> This wait mouse icon is based on some tricks done by the desktop.
>
> I guess that the desktop displays the wait mouse icon until the first
> application appears.
>
> But I don't know why it does not work with Mate.
>
> Here is an assumption: Mate thinks that the Gambas program is a console
> program, and so does not display any wait icon.
>
> Another assumption: Mate waits for a DBus registration, and Gambas does
> not register to the DBus bus.
>
> Can you try to make an icon for a console program on Mate, and see if
> you have the wait mouse icon?

What console program would give a reaction on the desktop so I can
check? Hm... Give me an idea please

But you might be right, I have a program here that runs with Java, and
it doesn't produce a wait mouse icon too. As it is rather slow on start,
this is especially annoying as you don't know if it starts or simply
ignores you.

Regards
Rolf