[Gambas-user] Extracting fields from a Result

Doug Hutcheson owlbrudder at gmail.com
Thu Jan 4 00:14:01 CET 2018

On Wed, 2018-01-03 at 20:13 +0100, Tobias Boege wrote:
> On Wed, 03 Jan 2018, T Lee Davidson wrote:
> > On 01/02/2018 06:42 PM, Doug Hutcheson wrote:
> > > Is there a better way to collaborate than sending emails to the
> > > list? I'm sure other users must be getting sick of the constant
> > > flow of messages.
> >
> > Messages can be kept off the list simply by replying to the sender
> > instead of to the list. However, I was hoping someone else
> > (like Benoît) would join in here, because you'd be further ahead
> > collaborating with a fish than with me.
> >

> We had a devel mailinglist when the lists were provided by
> sourceforge,
> but it wasn't continued [1]. There is a #gambas channel on freenode,
> if you want a chat. I've never heard of anyone using it but you might
> recognise one or two.
>
> > I was trying to help out and see if I could determine why the
> > password property was not getting set in the connection object and
> > just happened to stumble across that one line that contained the
> > error text I was getting. At one point when, in the signature
> > of DB_Open in gambas/main/lib/db/main.c, I saw "DB_DRIVER **driver"
> > (which is, what, a pointer to a pointer?), I had gone as far
> > as my knowledge would take me.
> >
> > If the database connection is defined programmatically, ie. not
> > using a IDE-defined Connection, there is no problem connecting.
> > So, I think a password would indeed get sent if it was set, and the
> > issue is, why is the connection object not being properly
> > populated from the IDE-defined Connection properties? Perhaps it is
> > as you stated, "a pointer dereferencing issue with the
> > DB_DESC structure".
> >

> This sounds more like a problem with the Connection editor in the
> IDE,
> to me. I can't imagine a pointer dereferencing bug to only have such
> gentle consequences.

I agree, but it would make sense if the password was supposed to be
accessed via a pointer, but the pointer actually pointed to an area of
memory containing a null word at that moment. I suggested this as a
possibility only because I have seen that sort of behaviour in the
past. Like in my own code. Doh!

> I have never used the Connection editor,

So, how do you control your data-aware controls? Programmatically? I
could not see how to do that.

>  but from reading the code,
> it doesn't save the password directly somewhere but uses
> Desktop.Passwords
> to store and retrieve it, leaving the details to the current
> desktop's
> tools. (I've never had much luck with gb.desktop as a whole, I must
> say,
> and I don't know how it works.)

Ah - the light dawns. If that is the case, it may require some kind of
setup for the password container on the desktop. More digging may shed
a light.

> Also, I kind of lost the thread. We have two issues here, right?
>
>   1. The pg driver might not handle the case-insensitive column names
>      correctly in all places.
>   2. Opening IDE-defined connections with passwords fails.

Yes, exactly.

> Regards,
> Tobi
>
> [1] https://lists.gambas-basic.org/pipermail/user/2017-October/062196