[Gambas-user] Extracting fields from a Result

Doug Hutcheson owlbrudder at gmail.com
Wed Jan 3 23:59:40 CET 2018

On Wed, 2018-01-03 at 12:14 -0500, T Lee Davidson wrote:
> On 01/02/2018 06:42 PM, Doug Hutcheson wrote:
> > I can't imagine a case where one would #define 0, but I am willing
> > to be proved wrong "8-)
>
> For block commenting, with benefits?

Hmmmm ... so that block could be activated by #define 0 - yes, I can
live with that. Thanks for the idea.
> > Is there a better way to collaborate than sending emails to the
> > list? I'm sure other users must be getting sick of the constant
> > flow of messages.
>
> Messages can be kept off the list simply by replying to the sender
> instead of to the list. However, I was hoping someone else
> (like Benoît) would join in here, because you'd be further ahead
> collaborating with a fish than with me.

I would not presume to correspond directly unless invited to do so, but
I  can see what you mean. Perhaps I should be like Trump and use
Twitter to communicate publicly? <grin>
Don't minimise your ability to contribute to the discussion - you have
been very helpful in confirming my problem is not just mine and in
prodding me to look further. I have started to get my head around the
code and am still at the steepest part of the learning curve, so I know
about as much as you at this stage.

> I was trying to help out and see if I could determine why the
> password property was not getting set in the connection object and
> just happened to stumble across that one line that contained the
> error text I was getting. At one point when, in the signature
> of DB_Open in gambas/main/lib/db/main.c, I saw "DB_DRIVER **driver"
> (which is, what, a pointer to a pointer?), I had gone as far
> as my knowledge would take me.

Yes, **thing is a double indirection to thing. I have browsed some of
the code and seen triple indirection ***thing used. Very useful and the
only solution in some cases.

> If the database connection is defined programmatically, ie. not using
> a IDE-defined Connection, there is no problem connecting.
> So, I think a password would indeed get sent if it was set, and the
> issue is, why is the connection object not being properly
> populated from the IDE-defined Connection properties? Perhaps it is
> as you stated, "a pointer dereferencing issue with the
> DB_DESC structure".

As you say, we can access the database through code, so the problem I
believe is going to be something simple in the end.

Kind regards, Doug.