[Gambas-user] Extracting fields from a Result

Tobias Boege taboege at gmail.com
Wed Jan 3 20:13:03 CET 2018

On Wed, 03 Jan 2018, T Lee Davidson wrote:
> On 01/02/2018 06:42 PM, Doug Hutcheson wrote:
> > Is there a better way to collaborate than sending emails to the list? I'm sure other users must be getting sick of the constant
> > flow of messages.
>
> Messages can be kept off the list simply by replying to the sender instead of to the list. However, I was hoping someone else
> (like Benoît) would join in here, because you'd be further ahead collaborating with a fish than with me.

We had a devel mailinglist when the lists were provided by sourceforge,
but it wasn't continued [1]. There is a #gambas channel on freenode,
if you want a chat. I've never heard of anyone using it but you might
recognise one or two.

> I was trying to help out and see if I could determine why the password property was not getting set in the connection object and
> just happened to stumble across that one line that contained the error text I was getting. At one point when, in the signature
> of DB_Open in gambas/main/lib/db/main.c, I saw "DB_DRIVER **driver" (which is, what, a pointer to a pointer?), I had gone as far
> as my knowledge would take me.
>
> If the database connection is defined programmatically, ie. not using a IDE-defined Connection, there is no problem connecting.
> So, I think a password would indeed get sent if it was set, and the issue is, why is the connection object not being properly
> populated from the IDE-defined Connection properties? Perhaps it is as you stated, "a pointer dereferencing issue with the
> DB_DESC structure".

This sounds more like a problem with the Connection editor in the IDE,
to me. I can't imagine a pointer dereferencing bug to only have such
gentle consequences.

I have never used the Connection editor, but from reading the code,
it doesn't save the password directly somewhere but uses Desktop.Passwords
to store and retrieve it, leaving the details to the current desktop's
tools. (I've never had much luck with gb.desktop as a whole, I must say,
and I don't know how it works.)

Also, I kind of lost the thread. We have two issues here, right?

  1. The pg driver might not handle the case-insensitive column names
     correctly in all places.
  2. Opening IDE-defined connections with passwords fails.

Regards,
Tobi

[1] https://lists.gambas-basic.org/pipermail/user/2017-October/062196.html