[Gambas-user] OH NO - not this ? again...

Tobias Boege taboege at ...626...
Sat Sep 2 19:32:33 CEST 2017

On Sat, 02 Sep 2017, mikeB wrote:
> *******************************************************************************************
>
> Just to clarify a few questions that were presented in your MUCH APPRECIATED
> answers:
>
> * when try to install the deb file on a virgin Mint 8.1 puter = the
> installer starts its "thing"
>
> then returns an error message saying
>
> "ERROR: Dependency is not satisfied: gambas3-runtime(>=3.10).
>

> After more research found a cmd line that says will update the runtime files
>
> (which would be GREAT if it actually worked ;-( as expected by a very new
> Linux user.
>
> "sudo apt-get install gambas3-runtime"
>
> the terminal return =
>
> mikeb at ...3685... ~ $ sudo apt-get install gambas3-runtime
> [sudo] password for mikeb:
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> gambas3-runtime is already the newest version (3.8.4-2ubuntu3.1).
> gambas3-runtime set to manually installed.
> 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 325 not upgraded.
> mikeb at ...3685... ~ $
>
> Notice that it says "newest version 3.8.4-2 when at the same time
>
> the installer error reports needs " gambas3-runtime(.=3.10)"
>
> yep.. very confusing for me anyway.

Don't be confused, it tells you exactly what the problem is.

You wrote a Gambas program with Gambas 3.10. If you generate an installation
package of your program, the packager will enter the Gambas runtime and all
the components your project uses as dependencies into the package, so that
the package manager (apt-get in your case) can automatically install all the
missing packages on the target system, to make sure your program will have
all the bits available to function correctly.

Since you used Gambas 3.10 to package your program, the dependencies of the
runtime and components will be >= 3.10, because the current version is the
lowest version that the Gambas IDE can assume your project works with.

Now, as is often the case, your distribution doesn't have the latest version
of Gambas in its repository. It only has access to 3.8.4, as it tells you,
so the version requirement of >= 3.10 is unsatisfiable and you cannot install
your program.

Just releasing Gambas 3.10 on our site doesn't magically make it available
in every distribution's package repository. That requires people putting in
some work to integrate the new Gambas version and it may just be that those
people are lacking for a specific distribution or that distributions have
more conservative policies of when to upgrade their software repositories.

In the case of Linux Mint, or any Ubuntu-based distribution, you can install
very recent Gambas versions through the PPA maintained by Sebastian Kulesz.
See the wiki [1] for how to do that. Essentially you have to add another
software repository (called a PPA)to your system:

  $ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:gambas-team/gambas3
  $ sudo apt-get update

and once you did that, apt-get will find the newer Gambas versions.
Your deb should install now.

NOTE however that I'm not a Linux Mint or Ubuntu user. I just copied
these commands from the wiki page linked in [1], for completeness' sake.
I can only say that those lines don't seem horribly wrong to me.

Regards,
Tobi

[1] http://gambaswiki.org/wiki/install/linux_mint