[Gambas-user] Switching to GitLab

Christof Thalhofer chrisml at ...3340...
Thu Aug 17 09:46:32 CEST 2017

Hi,

Am 16.08.2017 um 18:19 schrieb Karl Reinl:

> not knowing git, and not having read anything about GitLab,
> following these instructions seems to run oK! But this is a > 35 MB
> download. Do I have to do that every time, if I want to get the newest
> release (I know the example is for the stable Version)?
> What is to do to get only the changes like with svn ? Any short HowTo
> somewhere ?

Sorry for all, but downloading Gambas each time is quite silly (and bad
to Gitlab also).

Normally one would clone the repo first, then work with it and just
fetch the differences:

Clone:

git clone https://gitlab.com/gambas/gambas

Then you are automatically on the master branch, which is bleeding edge
development.

Fetch only differences since last clone/pull:

cd gambas
git pull

And that's all. If your current branch is master then you always are on
bleeding edge!

(do configure/make/install as usual)

But as you now have the complete repository on your computer you can
easyly switch to another version, you can checkout tags and also branches:

For actual stable you would do:

git checkout v3.10.0

For an older one:

git checkout v3.7.1

I dont know much about compiling gambas, but I think, that a "make
clean" could be neccessary between compiler runs.

Alles Gute

Christof Thalhofer

--
Dies ist keine Signatur